Friday, March 6, 2009

Let There Be Light

When we moved into this house we inherited this light. It is obviously unattractive and hugs the ceiling like nobody's business. It wasn't that big of a deal until we flip flopped our playroom and dining rooms.
When Mr. Steady and I found a brass chandelier at the thrift store for $2.50 I knew it was my opportunity to bring some class to the dining room. Mr. Steady spray painted with a matte black, no primer, no sanding! It looks great. He switched out the chain and added a longer cord. Then you voted on the globes and we (finally) bought the frosted amber globes. Mr. Steady reluctantly happily hung the chandy 60" from the floor (because the Nester said so) and I have been thrilled with it. The only thing I would do differently again is look for a chandelier with matching suitable globes already in them. We had to buy globes a couple at a time because of the cost and if I found another light with matching globes for a little more, I would snatch it up. Globes cost anywhere from $7 for the basic to upwards of $20 for the fancy schmancy ones. Mine were somewhere on the lower end. So even if you pay $15 for a three lamp light you're still ahead of the game.




3 comments:

  1. That chandelier definitely looks much better than the old light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the business of changing icky lights into fantastic lights!! Thank you for inspiring me to paint mine. I am enjoying it. Hope you are well...we need to talk sometime.
    Love, H

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMMMMMM...... Any ideas what I (Mr. Steady) can do with the ugly light?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!