Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Shrimp and Pasta Primavera

I recently told you about prepacked spice packets from the McCormick people. I was especially excited about the Shrimp and Pasta Primavera because we love shrimp but I know of very few ways to prepare it. It's really high in protein and low in fat so it's nearly perfect for your waistline. I also struggle to find fresh ways to bring vegetables into our meals other than the steamed veggies on the side or heavy starchy ones like mashed potatoes.

This recipe was super simple. Not blue box mac and cheese simple but pretty close. You boil linguine and add shrimp and veggies (they suggest carrots, peas, broccoli, and red pepper, I omitted the red pepper) the last few minutes of cooking. Then you drain that and make a cream sauce with heavy cream (I used low fat half and half), butter, chicken broth and your spices. Simmer and then add your pasta and veggies back in.

I must confess that I have a penchant for dill. So as I was preparing this my mouth was watering at the aroma. However, when Mr. Steady took his first bite he said "Wow, there's a lot of dill in this." The two younger boys really dug into it and our six servings really went quickly.

I must confess that I agree with Mr. Steady. As much as I love dill I would probably omit it the next time and up the other spices, the garlic in particular. So would I recommend buying this spice packet? Probably not, I'd recommend finding a good primavera sauce recipe and trying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!