Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Teachable Moments

I have been trying to think of some ways to include the boys in reaching out the community. They want to help and I want them to love helping but they are still kind of young.


Today the older two boys and I baked sugar cookies and packaged them up. We prayed for the men and women who work on the street department in our town and asked God to keep them safe while they were out plowing and do their work. We also asked Him to be with the families because I've been a plow widow before and I know it can get pretty lonely when we have weeks and weeks of snow. Then we tromped off to the street department and delivered the cookies along with some pictures and thank you notes from the boys. Tonight we'll read If I Had a Snowplow by Jean L. S. Patrick.

I think the boys felt good for doing something for someone else. The Thinker said "I think the men will like these because it will remind them of when their moms used to bake them homemade cookies" :o)

I would like to keep choosing one community helper in our town each month and do this. So far I've got plans to visit the library, post office, sherriff's office, fire department and the doctor.




How do you instill a love of service to others in your children?






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!