Saturday, January 31, 2009

February Goals

When report cards came home last week and The Thinker had a less than stellar grade in math. I hit the roof and he had no idea why. Then I realized that Mr. Steady and I had never told our boys what we expected from them in school. They had always done really well and so it was never an issue. It wasn't until I explained to him that this was an unacceptable grade that he understood.

I gave the boys a heads up in the middle of the week that we would be having a family meeting tonight and I gave them the task to think of at least 3 goals to work on for the month of February.

Today we read the book The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey (son of Franklin Covey, the author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People). and discussed our goals. We wrote them down and talked about ways we could help each other reach our goals. The boys each came up with honorable goals and we were able to discuss how to set goals that were attainable and yet, still stretch us a little bit.

In this way the boys know what is expected of them and they know what Dad and Mom are trying to work on in their own lives. They see that you are never too old to set goals and you never stop trying to better yourself, with God's help. I am looking forward to having this family meeting every month and checking in with each other.

I'm aware that this vintage Valentine has nothing to do with goals but have I mentioned that I have three boys and love Valentine's Day?

2 comments:

  1. so what will you be doing for valentines day with your three boys and hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very admirable that you are trying to instill good habits in your kids. I teach in a low-income high school where most of our kids were never taught life skills or good habits. We have a mentoring program where the kids meet in groups of 10-15 with a teacher every week to help teach the things they do not get at home. We have just started reading "7 Habits of Effective Teenagers" by Sean Covey as a school during this mentoring time. I hope it works for us like it's working for you. Great blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!