Monday, January 2, 2012

Intentionally

There are a number of bloggers who chose a character trait or "buzz" word to focus on throughout the year.  I have never done this before but as I read Monica's 2012 focus word and then decided to join Courtney's Gentleness Challenge, I felt the word "intentionally" come to mind.

I have a tendency to flutter about from projects and passions.  I have started countless books, Bible studies, and reading programs.  I have regret when I go to bed at night because I missed opportunities to speak Jesus' name or truth to someone.

I often have the best of intentions.  But rarely do I wake up with the mind to do much "intentionally".

Merriam-Webster defines intention as:

1: a determination to act in a certain way : resolve
3a : what one intends to do or bring about  
  b : the object for which a prayer, mass, or pious act is offered
4: a process or manner of healing of incised wounds
5: concept; especially : a concept considered as the product of attention directed to an object of knowledge

Yes, please...I would love to live a life of determination, resolve, significance, offered prayer, healing, and attention.


In searching the Scriptures for "intention", I found several verses I love and intend to focus on this year:

1 Corinthians 13:1 "IF I [can] speak in the tongues of men and [even] of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such as is inspired by God's love for and in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal."

Ephesians 4:12 "His intention was the perfecting and the full equipping of the saints (His consecrated people), [that they should do] the work of ministering toward building up Christ's body (the church),"

Philippians 2:2 "Fill up and complete my joy by living in harmony and being of the same mind and one in purpose, having the same love, being in full accord and of one harmonious mind and intention."

1 Peter 2:15 "For it is God's will and intention that by doing right [your good and honest lives] should silence (muzzle, gag) the ignorant charges and ill-informed criticisms of foolish persons."

1 Peter 4:1 "SO, SINCE Christ suffered in the flesh for us, for you, arm yourselves with the same thought and purpose [patiently to suffer rather than fail to please God]. For whoever has suffered in the flesh [having the mind of Christ] is done with [intentional] sin [has stopped pleasing himself and the world, and pleases God],

Revelation 17:17 "For God has put it into their hearts to carry out His own purpose by acting in harmony in surrendering their royal power and authority to the beast, until the prophetic words (intentions and promises) of God shall be fulfilled.

We serve an intentional God and this is one attribute of God I want to focus on in 2012.  Where is your focus this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!