Monday, November 21, 2011

Today's Tidbit of "Helpful" Information: Grandma's Laundry Instructions

Some of these "helpful" tidbits are more humorous than helpful.  This one just makes me thankful for my two servants in the backroom - the washing machine and dryer!  I originally saved it because it was funny (I saved the original language and spelling) but now I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to know how to wash clothes without a machine.  Who knows where God will send us?


Pitcure from allposters
Grandma's Laundry Instructions

  • Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water
  • Set tubs so smoke won't blow in yer eyes if the wind is pert
  • Shave one hole cake f lye soap in boilin water
  • Sort things; make 3 piles - 1 white, 1 colored, 1 pile of work breetches and rags
  • To make starch, stir flour in cool water to make smooth, then thin down with boiling water
  • Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, then boil
  • Then rub colored things, but don't boil, just wrench and starch
  • Take things out of kettle
  • Wrench and starch
  • Hang old rags on fence
  • Spread tea towels on the grass
  • Pore leftover wrench water on the flower beds
  • Scrub porch with hot soapy water
  • Turn tubs upside down
  • Go put on a clean dress, smooth down hair
  • Brew a cup of tea
  • Sit a spell and count yer blessings
**Original author unknown to me

I am in commando declutter mode around here. I have been clipping and saving little bits of helpful information throughout my married life....and that's it. Just saving them. Sometimes they are in my nightstand drawer, a folder, the junk drawer, the cookbook, etc. I know a great idea is to store them in a household binder but I am not even remotely interested in adding ANYTHING else to this house right now. So in an effort to rid my house of these little bits and bobs of paper, I'm going to post them here, like a cork board...my own Pinterest, if you will.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!