Friday, March 26, 2010

Seasoned Garlic Salt

I know this will probably seem like the most basic blog post you've ever read. I grew up eating warm butter bread with spaghetti. When I met my husband, who is 1/2 Italian, I was introduced to really good garlic bread, similar to what you would be served in a restaurant. He taught me how to make it but he is usually the one who makes the garlic butter.

For the past 11 years whenever we wanted to make garlic butter we'd drag out four bottles of spices, sprinkle a little here, pinch a little there, taste. Repeat. Well, I decided it needed to be a little more scientific. So I {gasp} got out the measuring spoons while Mr. Steady scoffed at me.

Much to my delight and his surprise I found a ratio that we like. And now, dear readers, I share it with you. Because you don't have to have warm butter bread and you don't have to buy frozen premade garlic bread. And also, too, you don't have to drag out four bottles at a time.

1/2 c. garlic powder
1/2 c. salt
1/8 c. dried oregano
1/8 c. black pepper

Mix together and store in an clean spice bottle. Use 1 heaping teaspoon per 1/2 c. butter. Garlic butter will last in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

Mangia, mangia!

1 comment:

  1. Just like the dog in the Bush's baked beans commercial, huh?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!