Monday, March 29, 2010

Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas

I know, I know...another cooking post? Mr. Steady accused me of nesting last week because of all the cooking and cleaning I've been doing. I'm not even pregnant! I spied this sweet little ridiculously priced spice packet put out by McCormick on the top shelf of my grocery store recently. I have a tendency to get in a serious cooking rut for dinner and thought I'd spice things up a bit. Get it, spice? Ahem. There is a recipe on the back so I thought if the fam liked it I could recreate it on my own another time. Foodie Friday recently reviewed these spice packets as well and brought up a point I hadn't thought of before: if you don't typically have cumin or cilantro in your spice collection this would be a great way to have fresh spices without investing in five or six different bottles. I bought both the Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas as well as Shrimp & Pasta Primavera (which I will review next week). I was a tiny bit afraid I would chicken out (I am really cracking myself up today with the puns) so I went ahead and mixed up the marinade.

Did you know you can add marinade to your meat before you freeze it or even to already frozen meat? Then as your meat thaws it will marinate and tenderize. I learned that from The Occasional Cook. Brilliant because I never remember to marinate it otherwise. I added chicken breasts that were already frozen and returned them to the freezer.


You are to remove 1/4 c. of the marinade to saute your veggies in. I had frozen lime juice in this container and used it for the recipe so I just returned the reserved marinade to this cup and froze it. Then when you are ready to eat simply thaw your meat and marinade and saute, then add peppers and onions and serve on tortillas.


The verdict? A hit! Mr. Steady raved about the flavor and even the boys loved the chicken (even though they picked out the onions and peppers). I happen to usually have these spices on hand (can't imagine life without cumin) so I will keep the recipe and measure out my own spices. But I would certainly recommend this particular packet if you are interested in trying it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!