Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Goliath Cookies

Recipe card from Shabby Princess Holiday Recipe Collection. For personal use ONLY.


Today I'm baking The Thinker's favorite cookie, Goliath Cookies. Most people call these Monster Cookies but an acquaintance once called them Goliath Cookies and I liked that better so it stuck. If you know me in real life you've more than likely had these because they are my favorite cookie to make. I like to mix and match the colors of M&M's depending on the time of year. At Meijer you can buy single color candy coated chocolate bits for a fraction of the cost of buying single color M&M's. I have matched the M&M's to holiday colors, team colors, school colors, favorite colors. The possibilities are endless. And who doesn't like peanut butter, chocolate chips and M&M's? Except my friend Kenny D? And Mr. Steady? And possibly you? Not me. Not The Thinker or any of his brothers for that matter.


This recipe makes a TON, or 7 dozen. If you don't have a Kitchen Aid mixer I don't know what to tell you to do because this dough comes to the top of my mixing bowl.

Here is what you will need: eggs, butter*, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, peanut butter, baking soda, salt, oatmeal, semi-sweet chocolate chips, M&Ms. Notice there is no flour in this cookie. So it's great when you're out of flour. I don't know why you would be out of flour but happen to have a bag of M&Ms but hey, that's your business, not mine.


Okay, so I cheated and made several of these doughs on the same day. Can you tell I got into it and forgot to take pictures of the process? It's pretty straight forward, cream the wet, mix in the dry, add the goodies. Here is the finished dough. See how full the bowl is? It's kind of crazy when the mixer is on you have to keep shoving the dough down so it doesn't fall out of the bowl.


Shape into balls. Monster cookies were originally called such because they were huge cookies, the size of a saucer or bigger. I like to make my cookies normal size (1 inch or so) but I also wanted to give a big cookie to each of the children in The Thinker's class so I made one sheet of extra large cookies. I used an ice cream scoop and then cut each scoop in half. I had to increase the baking time for these larger ones. Once again, these were headed for the freezer so they are especially close on the sheet. Don't place yours that close to bake unless you want a mess and want to clean your oven.

That is a saucer the cookies are sitting on, it's quite a filling cookie with the peanut butter and oats in it.

*One day I got going way too fast and accidentally put 3 sticks of butter in these cookies. I was thinking a stick was 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup. I didn't realize it until I was dipping the cookies up and saw how pliable the dough was. Even though that batch ended up way too soft I decided I liked the softer texture and now add an extra 1/4 c. of butter for a total of 1 c. butter.







2 comments:

  1. yummy. I always thought they were called monster cookies cause the batch was so HUGE! i never liked making them as a child because I didn't like them. I DID like them with Reeses Pieces instead of m&m's. I know, i'm weird. i still don't love chocolate like most people!!

    Thoughts and prayers are with you today. I woke in the night thinking of you and you were my first thought, and prayer, this morning.
    Hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenni, I was going to do this cookie thing and I forgot to take pics:( I may have to just share the recipe 'cause they were yummy.
    I wanted to come over this eve. but Travis had to work late.
    Lets do lunch sometime when you feel up to it ok? My treat!
    sending you more love and hugs,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!