Monday, February 23, 2009

Thoughts About Lent

I have been observing Lent for about 5 years now. If you are unfamiliar with Lent, you can read more about it here. It is not a Catholic "thing" but I did first learn about it from some Catholic friends. Lent is about more than just fasting, it is also about becoming more disciplined.

You can fast from something physical such as TV or soda pop, or you can fast from something that will benefit your spiritual growth such as gossip, anger or pithy thinking.

I feel that Lent, and fasting in general, is something very personal. The Bible instructs us that when we fast we are not to look somber as the hypocrites do. What does this mean? It means don't be miserable about fasting so that everyone asks you what is wrong.

The same verse goes on to instruct us to keep our fasting between God and you. I think it is helpful, especially for women in Titus 2 relationships to share with close sisters about your fasting in an effort to uplift and encourage one another. And it is helpful to share with your family why you are not eating something. First so your children can see you observing biblical instruction and second so they don't think there is something wrong with your cooking :o)

I am burdened this year more so than ever to fast during this Lenten season. I am anticipating instruction from God and am desperately seeking His will and discernment.

I will be participating in the 40 Trash Bag Challenge along with my fast. Each year I discuss Lent with my children and invite them to fast from something. Some years they choose to participate and others they decline. This year the oldest two are joining in.

How about you? Do you fast? Do you observe Lent? Please don't share what you are fasting from, unless you are led to and feel it would be beneficial. I am interesting in knowing your thoughts on the 40 Trash Bag Challenge - I am excited about that one. I may even add a ticker to the sidebar.

Ash Wednesday is this Wednesday, the first day of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!