Friday, December 19, 2008

Gooey's Broccoli Cheese Soup

UPDATED: OOPS! My fingers move faster than my brain sometimes. Kenny D just pointed out to me that I put spinach instead of broccoli. That would be fine and dandy if you wanted Spinach Cheese Soup but that wouldn't be Gooey's recipe. Try it with broccoli instead, that will work better. Yes siree.

I don't know where this recipe originally came from but Kenny D's grandma "Gooey" used to make it every year for the woman's fellowship Christmas bazaar. It's not your typical cream soup, it's thin (which fools me into thinking it's healthier) but so flavorful and delicious. And it makes a boatload too, 4 quarts. I like to package it in 1 pound deli containers and I usually get at least 6-7 cona.

Gooey's Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 T. oil
6 c. water
6 bouillon cubes
3/4 c. dried minced onion
8 oz. fine egg noodles
1 t. salt
2 (10 oz) boxes, frozen chopped *broccoli*
6 c. milk
1/8 t. garlic powder
1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed

Mix oil, water, bouillon cubes, and onion together in a large pot. Heat to boiling, stir until bouillon cubes dissolve. Gradually add noodles and salt so that the mixture continues to boil. Cook uncovered for 3 minutes. Stir in frozen broccoli and garlic powder, cook for 4 minutes. Add cheese and milk, cook slowly until cheese is melted. Do not cover when cooking or reheating.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!