Saturday, November 1, 2008

Real Makeovers for Real Budgets, Part 1

Do you ever see magazines with promises of "Budget Makeover" splashed all over the cover? Am I the only one who finds it laughable when they call $1,000 a good deal? Maybe if you save up for a while but that doesn't really satiate the instant gratification itch in me.

This week Mr. Steady was trying to stabilize our ceiling fan in the living room. He added a switch so that we can turn the fan and light on separately. While he was up there I asked him to flip the blades over and show me what was on the other side. The side that was facing down had hideous cane stuff, it was so hideous it doesn't even have a name. Then he removed the globes to keep from breaking them. Except then he broke one. Not to worry, the globes were almost as ugly as the blades. I'm sorry I don't have a before picture to do this post justice. Just take my word for it.

Mr. Steady remembered a broken fan I unknowingly purchased at a garage sale some time ago. I knew I purchased it...I didn't know it was broken. He removed the globes from the broken fan because, let's face it, that's the whole reason I bought the fan. Then he switched out the globes.

I think I paid $10 for the fan, he paid $6 for the switch. I am thrilled. I still don't love the fan (I can't stand brass) but I am so much happier with it now and our wallets aren't feeling violated.

P. S. Mr. Steady just said if I play my cards right the brass could be painted - so if you're looking for me, I'm in the back room practicing my poker hand.

1 comment:

  1. Is that a GAUWDY string hanging from a beautiful brass fixture? I love that fan, however it needs some of those really cute flowery globes on it. I am in shock that you would even think of painting it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!