Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Philly Beef Sandwiches

 This is a favorite family dinner and it's so easy and quick when you use leftover roast.  This recipe is from The Occasional Cook by Cyndy Salzmann, which is my all-time favorite make-ahead cookbook.  If you have never attempted freezer cooking, I highly recommend starting with this recipe.  When we have a roast, I reserve half of it and shred it, adding a small amount of broth back in to keep it moist.  Then I add onion, butter, and Worcestershire sauce.  Put in a gallon size zip top bag, smoosh all the air out and flatten.  Freeze flat. 

If you want to be really prepared, you can place sub buns in a gallon size zip top bag and shredded cheese in small zip top bag, all bags into a 2-gallon zip top bag, label and freeze.  I don't do this - I typically just wait to serve this until I find sub buns or French bread on sale or marked down.

 When you're ready to serve, thaw meat, heat over med-high heat until heated through.  Then pile on to sub buns (or halved French bread), butter the top bun, top with shredded or sliced mozzarella (or provolone) and broil until cheese is bubbly.


The whole family loves this quick and easy meal - so very tasty!  If we have extra broth left we like to dip the cooked sandwiches in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!