Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Come On To My House


If you don't hear Rosemary Clooney singing in your head when you read that title you must be GB. Or twenty. And if you don't know what GB is, don't worry, you're not one.


So for over three months I have been mulling around the idea of having a homegoods swap. The Nester had one and you know I have to do everything she does.


But life always gets in the way. My house isn't clean enough, my children are sick, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't decide on the perfect invitation. Then once I had the invite made I couldn't decide on a menu. Then there's the whole "this menu is great for children but not for moms, and then this menu is mom friendly but the children won't eat it." WHAT?!?!?!?!


Yesterday I was talking to one of my dearest friends about expectations and living up to perceived expectations and doing what we've always done because we thought we had to or because someone else did those things.


And I decided you know what? Who cares if my house is dirty? Who cares if my living room furniture isn't in the perfect formation? Who cares if you step on Lego men as you walk through my house? Ouch, actually that one does bother me a bit.

You are my friends and I want to see you! If I have learned nothing else from losing my mom it's that you don't get second chances. All of the would-haves and should-haves won't buy you a cream soda when your friends and loved ones are gone. Pick up the phone, write the card, send the email, throw a few Oreos on a plate, stick a Lipton bag in a cup of hot water and call it a tea party - just DO IT! Why do we make everything so complicated and big?
So, let's do this. Close your eyes and pretend this invitation was just delivered to you in a funky colored envelope with a pretty contrasting liner. Then when you come to my house and I serve you pizza on paper plates close your eyes and pretend it's some sort of green salad with fruit and funky dressing along with a great dessert instead of the Chips Ahoy cookies I'm probably going to serve.
Please come on to my house Friday, January 15 at 11:00 for a Homegoods Swap.
Please bring 3 (three) home decorating items from your home that you like but no longer love or that no longer work for your house.

Please bring 1 (one) item that has a $10-$15 resale value, and 2 (two) items that have $5 or less resale value. You will take home three items with similar value.
Suggestions: vases, candle holders, tablecloths, candles, napkins, picture frames, mirrors, lamps, flower pots, rugs, you get the idea. (sets count as one item)
Also bring a drink of your choice for your children and yourself.
All unclaimed items leftover will be donated to Goodwill.
Children are welcome, please bring a friend! Seriously, bring a friend and their children.
Please RSVP by Tuesday, January 12 by calling me, Facebooking me, or emailing me at coveredandpraying@sbcglobal.net. If you know me but don't know where I live I will give you directions. If you know where I live but don't me...that's just weird.

I WILL have pizza, I WILL have homegoods to swap with you (I've been filling a tote for months), I WILL have cute napkins, I WILL have children who misbehave, I MIGHT clean the toilet, I MIGHT vacuum my floor, I MIGHT have ice, I WON'T stress over whether or not my windows are clean (they won't be, because, hello, have you ever tried to shovel your sidewalk during a blizzard?), I WON'T clean my bathroom cabinet for fear you might look in there, I WON'T apologize for the disarray of my house, but most importantly, I WON'T regret spending a few hours with my friends.

3 comments:

  1. Jenni, how fun!!!!!! I am excited. I need to check my calendar but I think I am free. I love your post about your house and menu not needing to be perfect. I feel the same stress often but am trying to get past it. I am doing better. I love to have people in my home clean or not. :) Hope your day is blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, I don't know who Rosemary Clooney is.....we both know why. :) LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I live in NE, so won't be making it. Ü But you have given me a fun idea to try and do on my summer break.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts and reflections!